We all know how important it is to drink enough water in order to keep our body hydrated and healthy. However, with many of us leading busy active lives sometimes it can be a struggle to ensure proper hydration in the first place, let alone know how to boost it naturally and sustain it all day!
Before we get to our tips, let's first take a look at what hydration is all about and why it's so essential for your body, health and wellbeing...
What Is Hydration?
Simply put, hydration is the absorption of water. So, in terms of our physicality and health, hydration refers to getting enough water, or fluid that is largely made up of water into our bodies, normally by drinking it.
Why Adequate Hydration Is Essential For The Body
Proper hydration is key to your body's basic functions, including flushing out toxins and enabling muscle contractions, but up to 75% of us live chronically dehydrated.
There are many reasons why adequate hydration is vital for the body and its proper functioning. Hydration plays a key role in the following:
- Body Temperature Regulation
- Joint Lubrication
- Nutrient Delivery To Cells
- Proper Organ Function
- Sleep Quality
Our bodies are made up of approximately 75% water, so making sure we get and stay properly hydrated is critical.
Water is life and we cannot survive long without enough of it...
What Is Dehydration?
Dehydration can be defined as more water and fluids leaving the body than entering it. This should be avoided as even mild dehydration can result in serious problems. As we lose fluid, we also lose vital chemicals.
Despite water being lost all the time through natural eliminatory functions like breathing, sweating, urination, and excretion, our bodies possess an efficient "hydration management system" that keeps our water levels in balance. When we are thirsty, this, as we all know is the body signalling to us to increase our intake of fluids.
Usually, we can reverse dehydration by just drinking more water. However, dehydration, if left unaddressed can get to the point where it's severe and can become dangerous. If it ever does, medical attention should be sought immediately in order to quickly boost hydration and prevent serious health complications.
What Are The Most Common Dehydration Symptoms?
Most people experience at least one or more of the following signs or symptoms when they get dehydrated:
- Constant Thirst
- Dark-coloured Urine
- Dizziness or Feeling Light-Headed
- Tiredness & Fatigue
- Dry Mouth, Lips & Eyes
- Urinating less than 4 times per day & in small quantities
- Brain Fog & Persistent Headaches
- Muscle Cramps
- Weight Gain
- Dull Skin
How Can Dehydration Be Prevented?
It's simple really... DRINK MORE WATER, MORE REGULARLY!
Dehydration occurs when you use or lose more fluid than you take in, and as a consequence your body lacks enough water and other fluids to carry out its normal functions. Without drinking sufficient water or other liquids, dehydration soon results, along with the loss of important fluids, electrolytes, and micronutrients.
Not drinking enough water and sweating are the two most common everyday reasons why you can quite easily experience dehydration. This is often brought about by:
- Heavy or demanding exercise. This is healthy up to a point but can lead to dehydration if you don't consume sufficient fluids to replace what you lose.
- Hot and humid weather can increase sweating greatly, even if you're not doing anything to strenuous, it's much easier to become dehydrated unless you're careful.
- You're too busy, and forget to drink enough.
Anyone can become dehydrated, but young children and older adults are more susceptible. In older people, who are not careful, even mild physical activity can lead to dehydration relatively quickly if insufficient water is consumed.
How To Boost Hydration Naturally
The quickest and easiest way is, you guessed it, to drink pure clean, fresh water as nature intended it to be.
To be adequately hydrated, women need about 10 glasses of water daily and men even more typically, because they tend to have greater body mass. Fortunately, plain water does not have to be the only source of fluid. Hydration can come from juice, tea, or small amounts of coffee. If you drink something other than water, it's best to avoid anything that contains sugar or any other artificial additives in it.
Not All Fluids Are Created Equal
Sugar and some of its replacements, such as sucaryl and aspartame, can lead to health problems. Even many commercial fruit juices have sugar added to them, not to mention soda and fizzy drinks! Although they may taste good, it can come at a cost, as a result of many negative effects they can have on your body.
On average a typical bottle or can of these types of beverages contain the equivalent of 9 teaspoons of sugar! Even though many well-known brands have non-sugar versions, these are often worse for your health than their sugary cousins.
Unfortunately, often the same think goes for sports and energy drinks. Even though they may contain many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that can assist the body in terms of physical activity and recovery, frequently their high sugar content can counteract any positive benefits.
Natural Water Additives
If you want to quickly boost your hydration as well as get an infusion of natural nutrition from real ingredients, intelligently curated to help you fully recover from dehydration, muscle soreness, and daily exercise, add Phenoh REPLENISH to your water.
Our Hydration Superblends are powered by Phenoh’s Perfect pH delivery system to deliver vital electrolytes, vitamins, and antioxidants while maintaining essential pH balance so that you can stay balanced and do more...
Learn More: Benefits of Real Hydration
Top Tips To Sustain Hydration
If you are thirsty, your body is already dehydrated and signalling it needs water immediately. Prevention is always better than cure so the best recommendation is to avoid getting to the point of thirst in the first place.
To be properly hydrated, you should drink water as often as necessary to prevent this. Small quantities, more frequently can often be the best course of action over drinking large amounts less often.
Here are some ideas for how to get properly hydrated and maintain adequate hydration throughout the day (and night):
- Even if you like to start your day with tea or coffee, it's a good idea to drink some water by itself before any other drinks
- Carry some water on you in your car and at work. Reusable water bottles are a great solution.
- The older you get, your body becomes less effective in determining its need for hydration, so be particularly mindful if you're 50 or over and doing something sweaty.
- Keep an eye on your urine. If you are adequately hydrated then you'll have a good flow, clear or light yellow in colour.
- Be sensible with coffee. Although coffee, is generally healthy, it has diuretic properties and can make you urinate and sweat more.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Drinking excessively can promote urination and lead to dehydration.
- If you wake at night, have a small drink of water. Try keeping a glass or bottle by your bedside.
- Add Phenoh to your water...
Phenoh Superblends Help Replenish Hydration
Phenoh Alkaline Nutrition is at the forefront of the science behind hydration. Their original vision was to create an energy drink that was healthier and more effective than other well-known brands of sports drinks which for the most part are full of sugar and other artificial additives.
All Phenoh's products assist in hydration thanks to key ingredients, the natural alkaline minerals bicarbonate and phosphate. However, REPLENISH has been specifically formulated to combat dehydration and boost your body thanks to its vital nutrients:
- 2,000MG ELECTROLYTES – 1,000mg Potassium for water retention and balance, muscle and heart contractions, and nerve signals.
- MULTI-BENEFIT – Combats symptoms of dehydration and inflammation in the body while supporting skin, bones, and joints. Replenishes 6 Electrolytes. Rapidly hydrates and helps you recover from exercise. Improves immunity.
- MINERAL & VITAMIN RICH – High in Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Vitamin C and D.
- ANTIOXIDANT SUPPORT – Immunity boosting Vitamin C, D + Zinc.
- HYDRATION SUPERBLEND – Superfoods of Aloe Vera, Bamboo Extract, and Beet Root.
- PERFECT pH – Science-backed delivery system speeds up nutrient delivery while maintaining essential pH balance.